Saturday, July 22, 2017

St. Elizabeth's Carrot Salad









This recipe is from St. Johns Church cookbook. Billie Lillywhite shared this recipe, which is a keeper!

Ingredients:

2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
1 green pepper, sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 cup salad oil ( used a little less then 1/4 cup)
1 cup sugar ( used 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup vinegar ( used 1/2 cup)
1 can Campbell's tomato soup

Directions:

Boil carrots in salted water for about 10 minutes. 

Drain, transfer to a mixing bowl and add onion and pepper

In a saucepan, mix mustard, sugar, oil, vinegar and tomato soup. Heat and stir to dissolve sugar.

Pour over carrots.

Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Featured 7/30/17 The Lazy Gastronome

11 comments:

  1. This is a really different kind of salad. Would never think of using carrots like this. Also using tomato soup in the ingredients. I will put this one on my to try list. Thanks for sharing Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the recipe in one of the cookbooks I'm giving away. You know how I like trying different things. Next time I need to slice the carrots thinner.

      It was really good!

      Delete
  2. What a neat side dish! YUM!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe reminds me a lot of the Marinated Carrots my Mom always made for get togethers. She got the recipe from her former boss' daughter. Robin and I make them a lot during the summer....the good thing about recipes like this is the longer they sit, the better they taste. I cut the carrots into sticks-a little thinner than you use for dipping. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should of cut the carrots smaller. It was good and will make it again

      Delete
  4. I never think to use carrots in a salad like this. We have a bunch planted, so new servings suggestions are welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carlee

      Need more carrot recipes- here are a few of my favorites
      Carrot Crust Pizza
      http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/2016/12/carrot-crust-pizza.html

      Brownies- Secret Ingredient Spinach! ( has carrot in it)

      There is a pickled carrot also which is SO good.

      Let me know what you think of these


      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner Link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this carrot salad sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing it at C&C with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this great recipes last week on the What's for Dinner link up - it's been featured this week!! Make sure you grab a button! http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-link-up-107/

    ReplyDelete