Monday, March 26, 2018

Sweet Potato and Collard Hash- Instant Pot Recipe


Gabe bought me an Instant Pot. I'm not someone who approaches change or something new with a smile. 

The IP was a positive change in regards to Gabe helping me cook. We have made BBQ  Ribs,  Turkey Stock. Hot Chicken Wings. Everything has been very good so far.

My collard greens from the garden are huge, the weather is quickly warming up and I need to use them before they bolt. This recipe is delicious and know what recipe most of the greens will be going into.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely diced red onion
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, small diced
1 bunch collards, stemmed and roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chicken stock


Directions:

1- Heat olive oil in the pressure cooker on the saute setting. Add the onion and garlic and cook until almost translucent- about 4 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook until golden- about 5 minutes. Add collards in bunches and cook until wilted- about 5 minutes. Add paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper- for one minute.

2- Add chicken broth ( you can use water but I find the broth gives it extra flavor).

3- Cook on Manual  with high pressure for 6 minutes. Use quick release and remove lid.

4-Return the pressure cooker to saute to recrisp the outside of the potatoes and reduce any extra liquid- about 3 minutes.

Note: I know many may not own an pressure cooker. I no longer buy cookbooks and need to keep recipes I find, thus I will be adding more IP recipes when I find a good one. 

Recipe from- Southern Recipes For The Modern 7 in 1 Electric Pressure Cooker









6 comments:

  1. My mom had a pressure cooker when I was younger. I never owned one. I am sure this is good , but I never liked greens . My neighbor gave me some and I just couldn't eat them. It sure smells good cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one also when I was in my 20's. Was scared to death to use it! This one is easy so far.

      The collards are doing so well in the garden. Before I had the IP I gave away most of the collards- NO MORE!! This recipe is SO good and it's healthy, well sort of :-)

      Wishing you and Larry a Blessed Easter.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a pressure cooker or an instant pot. This recipe looks very good. I will pass it on to those who do have IP. I don't see myself getting one, since I rarely cook much anymore. Thanks for sharing. Glad that Gabe is helping in the kitchen with the IP. So nice when you have someone to share the kitchen with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for passing it on Myra. It's healthy and so good. I was thinking it would make a good Easter side dish.

      Wishing you and all of your family a Blessed Easter. It's extra special this year now that Mike and family are back in PA.

      Delete
  3. AWESOME! Isn't the Instant Pot the best thing? I'd be totally lost without mine...well my 3 pressure cookers. Yes, I have 3....(2) 6 quart ones and an 8 quart one. They get used almost daily for one thing or another. Sometimes I have 2 going at one time making 2 different things. The more you use yours, the more you're going to love it. Big time saver when cooking your collard greens? I love the mix of colors with the sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I know is any collards growing in my garden will no longer be given away! The IP cooks them just the way I love them!

      I was telling Gabe we should cook up some ribs again soon! Those are a huge hit also.

      Delete